I recently purchased a Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera so I could keep an eye on the puppies from work. I have to say I am totally blown away by the value of this $90 camera.
- 300 degree pan / 120 degree tilt
- IR night-vision mode
- 640×480 resolution
- Two-way audio
- Multi-user access with multiple account/password support
- Intuitive web interface
- Motion detection mode
- Easy setup
- The setup was very simple and took less than 15 minutes.
- The video quality is good. I seem to around 10 FPS, even over the web.
- Pan/Tilt response is snappy, even over the web.
- The Pan/Tilt motor is completely silent – as in, it makes no noise detectable by human ears.
- Night vision actually works!
- Colors appear very washed-out and no amount of fiddling with brightness/contrast will fix it. This is not important to me, but if this is a concern you might want to look elsewhere.
- Have not been able to get the audio working, either in Chrome or IE. Allegedly the device supports two-way audio. I will play with this some more and see if I can get it working. Again, this isn’t really important for me but if it’s a concern you might want to look elsewhere.
Below is a picture of the web interface for anybody interested.
Of course, my dogs are very suspicious of the camera and seem to spend most of their time hiding and glaring at it. See if you can find the puppy in the picture below.